19 August 2012

A quick ISBE 2012 Round-up

Feel like to write something but too tired to write a proper blog, so just listed some points:



The WOW moments:

  1. Super excited when listen to some amazing research.
  2. Listened to some fun debating among senior researchers about scientific points of view.
  3. Had some interesting discussion about what me or other people are going to do next to dig into current problems/questions.
  4. Listened to some exciting discussion among other PhD students and senior researchers.
  5. Attended to the talks given by three researchers that I admire a lot (Bart Kempenaers, David McDonald and Erik Postma) all on the same day and happened to have dinner with David that evening!  (I think I was as happy as a silly fan...)
  6. Had a chat with Bart about my work!!  Thanks to his suggestions!!
  7. I did not forget what I did with my project due to nerve and my brain did not go blank, so I think my oral presentation went better than I expected!!
  8. Met a PhD student studying in shorebirds in Barrow!!!! Talked about Barrow with someone who likes that place too is amazing, and geeee I super miss my dreamland!!!
  9. Totally lose the ability of expressing myself clearly in English because tiredness... Wow the logic is abandoning me... Orz

Fun moments:

  1. Got to know some nice and interesting people, and even make friends with some of them!!
  2. Really enjoyed hanging out with my group mates from Otago and their friends from Brazil!! (kind of repeated in point 1)
  3. Fall in love with Lund. A friendly and charming university town.

Results:

  1. Motivated and want to speed up writing manuscript and doing some more analyses.
  2. Super exhausted after a 7 days of conference - 6 days of main conference plus one day of post-conference symposium, though I was 100% saturated with talks and left a bit early on the last day...

Acknowledgements:

  1. Supervisors and group mates for the comments and suggestions for my talk.
  2. Group mates for making sure I would not get lost!
  3. The five different funding and the financial support from my main supervisor for me to attend this ISBE in Sweden. (Two of the five funding are also for the field work in UK.  Much appreciated!)

Conclusion:
The world is huge, I want to keep exploring it!

No comments: